Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Tasty Tuesday: Turkey Meatballs

Chewy loves meatballs, but store-bought doggy meatballs usually contain a whole bunch of additives, so I decided to make some healthier ones. These are super simple to make- the most difficult part is chopping the veggies. I used carrots, celery and pumpkin, but you can also substitute using other dog-friendly veggies if you wish. I also used ground flax seed, which contains omega-3's for healthy skin & coat. [Complete recipe at the end]

Chewy was really excited about the meatballs from the moment I took the turkey out of the fridge, because MEAT!

All you have to do is mix everything together,



make them into meatballs, and pop them in the oven. I used parchment paper so that I wouldn't need to add more oil by greasing the pan. You can make them a smaller size as well, just adjust the baking time.

Before and after baking

Then let them cool, and feed the pup(s)! I served them to Chewy on a bed of leftover pumpkin puree with unflavored sweet potato fries and cucumber slices.

...I am waiting...

He of course went for the meatballs first, because he does not understand the concept of saving the best for last.

*scarf scarf scarf* ... Can I perhaps have some more?

These are meant as a treat, not to replace your dog's regular, balanced meals.


Turkey Meatballs for Dogs

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 lb. lean ground turkey
  • 1 egg
  • 1 medium sized carrot, finely chopped
  • 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup plain pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup quick cook oats
  • 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley or 1 tbsp. dried parsley
  • 2 tbsp. ground flax seed


Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and mix well. Form 1.5" diameter balls (makes ~16) and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake until cooked through and lightly browned, about 20-30 min. Let cool completely before serving. Store uneaten meatballs in the fridge up to 1 week, or freeze for longer.







9 comments:

  1. Monty & Harlow have nominated you for our guest blogger slot 'Share It Sunday'. You don't have to do anything just email us a link to the post you'd like us to host and we will do the rest. We will feature it this coming Sunday. You also get to nominate the next guest blogger. We are at mollyDOTthewallyATbtinternetDOTcom.
    Have a terrific Tuesday.
    Best wishes Molly
    http://mollythewally.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sounds great - I wonder if I could make them with pork since Jack can't have poultry?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo! These look amazing! Too bad for my dogs that I'm too lazy to cook for any of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look amazing! I never thought about making Luna meatballs, but I am going to pin this so I can later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those sound so good and look so yummy! Now to get mom to make them for us! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mhhh, the pups would like to come over to your place & get their paws on the turkey meatballs!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, please....I will take 4 and 1 for Harley I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazing and I love your artistic creation in Chewy's bowl. Great recipe, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look amazing! I'm always looking for a new treat for Harlow's agility class - I'll have to try these.

    Monty and Harlow

    ReplyDelete